Sunday, November 15, 2009

Today's links 14/11/2009



I don't know how many of you saw Google's doodle of the day (to mark Children's day) and heard the story behind it and the Indian connection.

The story of the new island twice the size of Texas developing in the Pacific Ocean, formed of junk collecting in the ocean over the years.

While talking about the environment, I was scandalized at the reports of artificially induced snow in Beijing. I don't know enough about this to talk like an expert, but I am worried at the long term effects of this sort of manipulation of the environment.

The account of this professor's irreverent translation of the works of Shakespeare into Punjabi.

The somewhat impractical and unrealistic Ideal Diet for Indians from two reports here and here. I'm sure the principles are well thought out, but I wish the experts would come up with reasonable diet plans that we could follow and recommend to our poor patients.

Nice cartoon from one of my classmates that explains the need for an ideal diet!

1 comment:

Juliana Abraham said...

Hi Pradeep,

I can see the frustration in the articles on diet recommendations. A lot has to do with the type of cooking equipment a person has. And, resources to freshly made foods.

I'd be interested to learn some of the methods for eating healthier that you all have found useful.

I've finally convinced Ashish of the idea of incorporating whole grain rice 50% of the time. Hopefully, I can continue to increase that amount. The bread I make in our bread machine is about 50% whole wheat. I would like to find a good recipe for making 100% whole wheat bread in our machine that doesn't come out hard as a rock. Do you know of any?

And, we try to use the healthier oils, as the article suggests, like Olive oil and sesame oil for high heat, but they are close to double the cost of vegetable/canola oil.

I think another good thing is to exchange good and healthy recipes.

Anyway, thanks for your post!