Sunday, October 4, 2009

Random notes

Here are some things I have been reading over the last few days, that I thought you might find interesting.......

Some Pictures that make you say "Wow!" from the British Wildlife Photography Awards. My own favourite is the one of the deer in the morning light.

The interesting story of how 74-year-old Jessie Dean is spending her retired years.....

Confessions of a Home-schooler, a well written article that brings out nicely, in my opinion, the passionate views of people on both sides of the Great Home-schooling Divide.

The unfortunate story of somebody who realised, too late, that all the world is not a toilet....

A beautiful video of one of my favourite worship songs. This week, I had to teach my department to sing this song, so that we could do it as a special number in our Sunday Hospital Chapel service.



Finally, a prayer I have just read a few minutes ago, that seemed to sum up my longings for myself and for Anand, especially, and also for each of you who are dear to me. (HT: Tim Challies who has this to say about this prayer:

"This is one of my favorite prayers in The Valley of Vision. It is a prayer for family, asking God not only for grace in raising a family in a way that brings him glory but also asking God for grace in the lives of other family members. I think it is notable that a prayer for family first begins with soul-searching prayer about self. In fact it moves seamlessly from adoration of God to confession of sin to petition that God will grant grace to overcome sin (and especially sin related to ones ability to effectively relate to family) and finally to prayer for those family members. It is a beautiful, powerful prayer.

*****

O SOVEREIGN LORD,
Thou art the Creator-Father of all men, for thou hast made and dost support them;
Thou art the special Father of those who know, love and honour thee,
who find thy yoke easy, and thy burden light,
thy work honourable,
thy commandments glorious.
But how little thy undeserved goodness has affected me!
how imperfectly have I improved my religious privileges!
how negligent have I been in doing good to others!
I am before thee in my trespasses and sins,
have mercy on me,
and may thy goodness bring me to repentance.
Help me to hate and forsake every false way,
to be attentive to my condition and character,
to bridle my tongue,
to keep my heart with all diligence,
to watch and pray against temptation,
to mortify sin,
to be concerned for the salvation of others.
O God, I cannot endure to see the destruction of my kindred.
Let those that are united to me in tender ties
be precious in thy sight and devoted to thy glory.
Sanctify and prosper my domestic devotion,
instruction, discipline, example,
that my house may be a nursery for heaven,
my church the garden of the Lord,
enriched with trees of righteousness of thy planting,
for thy glory;
Let not those of my family who are amiable, moral, attractive,
fall short of heaven at last;
Grant that the promising appearances of a tender conscience,
soft heart, the alarms and delights of thy Word,
be not finally blotted out,
but bring forth judgment unto victory in all whom I love."

No comments: