Friday, October 2, 2009

Gandhi Jayanti

Happy Gandhi Jayanti!

If I have my dates right, its Happy Birthday to you too Juliana?!! Hope you have a lovely day and a great year ahead.

Did you know you shared a birthday with the great soul (maha atma)?

Tonight at prayers we had a picture of Gandhi in our prayer corner, and had some flowers in front of the picture and lit a candle, that stayed lit through supper and after. and SHyam sang Gandhi's favorite bajan about five times ...

From have just been a "holiday' all these years, it was nice to pause and be reminded about the little (too little) I know about Gandhi. And to thank God for him, and what he achieved in our country and the worlds in general, and the people he has inspired and continues to inspire.

Am re reading his autobiography (a birthday gift from Dharmendra, an assistant here) Its not so easy a read. i find it easier to pick up quotations of his and be inspired by those. Actually one of the best books I've read about Gandhi has been by E. Stanley Jones " Gandhi an interpretation".
(strongly recommended)

So yes, life here in Asha Niketan is good. Yesterday was Theresa's B'day.. she was so happy. Also had to take in Kanna ( a 54 yr ol man with down syndrome, whose name for me is Tu tu tu ) to get all his teeth pulled out. It was a traumatic expereince for both of us - he was crying and fighting and so sad after that. I was sure he would never forgive me for putting him through that. But he was all hugs after that. It was so lovely.

I continue to read a lot. I had a break back to Delhi last month, which was great, but despite that the last month was difficult. Living in community is not easy. And I'm confronted again with my reluctance in really knowing (and accepting) myself and being known....

the internet cafe is closing... so thus ends my ramblings...

Hey I'm going to see a Naseeuddin Shah pay tomorrow with Neema. Looking forward to that. ALl for now...

No comments: