Sunday, August 16, 2009

My reading list

Dear all,
Am in Pathalgaon, Chhattisgarh, spent the last 9 days giving 2 batches of training and tomorrow will start another 2 in another place.
So exhausting, but in the evenings, I've taken time out to read quite a bit more than I usually do.
Was reading "The Jesus I never Knew" by Phillip Yancey in the train, loved it, but put it on hold, in order to finish a bunch of Henri Nouwens that Sr. Elizabeth loaned me for these few weeks while I'm here.
So I started on "Wounded Healer" which is supposed to be his best, but found it too difficult to read, so dumped it and picked up "Sabatical Journey" which is his journal (edited by friends) during a sabatical he took which was also the last year of his life. He died a few weeks after the last post.
A fabulous read... gripping... and it spoke right to my situation just like the last 2 Nouwens that I read - "Reaching Out" & "In the name of Jesus".
I've become a fan. And if anyone is thinking of getting me a gift, I'll post a list of Nouwens that I want on the blog.
Now I'm halfway through his biography which is equally interesting but in a different way. It tells of the complex person that Nouwen was and his struggles.
All this reading has been changing me hugely... will ruminate on just how in another post, when I get back to Delhi.

4 comments:

Juliana Abraham said...

You and Ashish have a very similar way of reading books! I love it!

Pradeep said...

We had heard that Cheryl was in Chattisgarh taking on the might of the Salwa Judum, and were anxious to hear from you! What news on that front?

I liked "The Jesus I never knew". It was the first Philip Yancey I read, and I really liked his style of writing and the different perspective it gave. Since then I've read "What's so amazing about grace"... (another paradigm-changing book) and quite a few other books by him.

I haven't read 'The Wounded Healer" or the other Nouwens you have mentioned. I picked up a book at 244rr last year which Henri Nouwen had written about a painting of the Prodigal Son by Rembrandt (I don't remember the name of the book!), and found it interesting. We have a Nouwen with us called "Adam-God's Beloved" (gifted to us by Sam David), written about the person he roomed with at the L'Arche community he was at. This was published after he died. We will be happy to lend it to you if you would like to read it sometime!

Pradeep said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pradeep said...

Sorry, my comment was accidentally posted twice!