Monday, July 26, 2010

An unexpected cyst

There's a great proverb which says, "A physician who treats himself has a fool for a patient."

Here's why that is so true....

About a month ago, I began to develop severe pain in my left shoulder. There was some restriction of movements, and I found one area over my upper back which was excruciatingly tender. This one spot hurt so badly that if I accidentally knocked it against the pillow while sleeping, I would often wake up in the middle of the night with pain.

I was so busy at work, that I just could not find the time to visit the doctor. Most mornings, I was either in the operation theatre, or on duty. I began to recommend to Arpita that she give me an injection into this tender spot to decrease the pain. Its a good thing she kept refusing!

Finally our car broke down twice while going and returning from Bangalore (that's a story for another blog post), and when we reached Vellore I told my department I needed a day's leave to get the car repaired. One of the other things I did on my free day, was go to see an Orthopaedician.

It says a lot about the situation here...that I found it easier to ask for (and take) leave to get my car repaired, than to get my shoulder checked on. (That discussion, again, is stuff for a future blog post!)

An MRI scan later, I find I have something called a spinoglenoid cyst in my left shoulder, and tomorrow am headed for surgery to remove it.

Surgery is scheduled for 10am tomorrow morning. My dad is already here, and my mom will be arriving early morning. Please pray for all of us, especially Arpita, who is now finding even more on her already over-filled plate

1 comment:

Juliana Abraham said...

We will be praying! Please let us know how the surgery goes as soon as you are able to type!

Love,
Serena, Safina, Juliana and Ashish