Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Reply to Juliana's post

Thanks for your news, and the link to the 'Love and logic site'

It would be great if you could get a copy of the book across to us. We are grateful for any help and advice we can receive as we try to bring up our children.

I thought I would share some of the resources we are using at present. I would prefer to finish reading and listening to these resources before posting reviews on this blog, but thought that since the topic had come up, I would go ahead and write about them anyway.


My father has just loaned us a book called "Shepherding a Child's Heart". It seems to be a very highly recommended book, and certainly, I have already found the first two chapters very interesting. Maybe I will write more about it when I finish the book. Meanwhile you can find a review of the book here

We have also found this series of five sermons by the author of the book (Tedd Tripp) at this blog. We have listened to one of them, and, again, were quite impressed with what he had to say.


Arpita has read most of a book called 'Raising Godly Tomatoes' and has recommended that I read it. I will, before I post my opinion. Meanwhile, you can find the entire book here.

Do keep us posted on how your 'mom's group' progresses.

3 comments:

Babu said...

Hi I have already bought a copy of the book for you. I will give it to you when you are here later this month

Juliana Abraham said...

I would be very interested to hear your perspective on the Love and Logic book. What I like about it is that the authors emphasize that discipline really can't occur outside of the context of love! It's so true.

I like that they emphasize 'thinking' words rather than 'fighting' words. And, that there is a genuine respect for children, that they are to be treated as humans and not as a lower class.

Some of the examples seem a little over the top to me and I would probably do things a little differently. But, I love the philosophy behind the book. Of course it is all situation/age appropriate, but I like the idea of giving children the freedom of decision making and not taking on your child's problem as your own - rather, guiding them in ways so they learn how to be responsible and make good choices for themselves!

Safina has been responding very well to this and I feel as though it offers me more grace as a parent!

I'm eager to hear how you like it. Is this the book you picked up, Daddy?

Juliana Abraham said...

p.s. another book I want to read after I finish this one is, "How to talk so kids will listen & listen so kids will talk."